BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, November 9, 2009

A Fruitful Endeavor

THAT'S IT! Titus has been kicking my butt for long enough. It's time to move on. It figures that the day I move on from Titus, I'd be challenged more than I've ever been challenged before. Paul tells Titus, "Our people [Christians] must also learn to engage in good deeds to meet pressing needs, so that they will not be unfruitful." (Titus 3:14)

So often I find myself trying to make time to ready my Bible, pray, and discuss spiritual things...which is good, but it that the end goal? to read my Bible more, pray more, learn more? I don't think so. Paul says that if Christians are not engaged in "good deeds" then our our lives are unfruitful! (Think about Jesus' parable of the soils in Matthew 13:3-9)

Earlier, Paul explains (clearly) the gospel and concludes his explanation with our response to the gospel..."But when the kindness of God our Savior and His love for mankind appeared, He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out upon us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by His grace we would be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life. This is a trustworthy statement; and concerning these things I want you to speak confidently, so that those who have believed God will be careful to engage in good deeds." (Titus 3:4-8)

Earlier still, Paul explains that "good deeds" are inseparable from being saved: "[Jesus Christ] Who gave Himself for us to redeem us from every lawless deed, and to purify for Himself a people for His own possession, zealous for good deeds." (Titus 2:14)

Finally (or firstly), in chapter one, Paul describes the people who only think they're spiritual: "They profess to know God, but by their deeds they deny Him, being detestable and disobedient and worthless for any good deeds." (Titus 1:16)

I have to admit, I've been quite unfruitful. I haven't been "careful to engage in good deeds." I certainly haven't been "zealous for good deeds." So, all of that MUST change. This is why I'm so excited about the new series Echo is doing, "Exposed."  We are going to be exposed to people with real, "pressing needs" and we're going to be careful to engage in meeting these needs. In fact, I think that once we see people with real, pressing needs, we'll be zealous for meeting their needs.

Are you someone who is careful and zealous for doing good deeds? Do you need some help finding pressing needs? Do you want to be a person who is careful and zealous for doing good deeds? If so, I invite you to Echo youth group November 18th as we learn about a severe need having to do with child trafficking right here in our city. If not, I invite you to make Jesus Christ your Lord and Savior. He died a sinless man so that the wrath of God intended for us would be satisfied. Now, through faith in Jesus we can have eternal life with the Source of all that is good, the God who created the universe.

0 comments: